Physical, Technical and Computer Sciences Institute of Yuriy Fedcovich Chernivtsi National University

Department of Physica of Semiconductors and Nanostructures

History of the department

History of the Department of Physics of Semiconductors and Nanostructures starts in 1953. Then the Department of Physics of Semiconductors was established at Chernivtsi University, the second department of the kind in the Soviet Union.

Within 15 years the powerful enterprises for the production of electronic equipment were built in Chernivtsi. They needed qualified personnel. Therefore, in 1968 on the base of Department of Physics of Semiconductors two departments were created: the departments semiconductor materials and semiconductor microelectronics. In 2004 the Department of Semiconductor Microelectronics was reorganized into the Department of Physics of Semiconductors and Nanostructures.

The Department of Physics of Semiconductors and Nanostructures has trained more than 1,500 professionals in the field of physics and technology of semiconductor electronics. Graduates of the department headed the enterprises in Chernivtsi and formed the basis of engineering staff in many enterprises of the Soviet Union.

Since 1991 the Department of Physics of Semiconductors and Nanostructures has continued the tradition of Chernivtsi University as one of the leading centers of research in semiconductor electronics. Today's graduates successfully work in universities in the U.S., Canada and in European countries.